The inside scoop to beautiful hair

Having friends that work in the fashion/beauty industry is always a treat because I get to hear all about the inside works of the business and of course, get first hand advice about things like maintaining a happy, healthy head of hair. I caught up with my good friend Antonio Gonzales, author of the hair blog Comesse and stylist at one of the most exclusive salons in New York, Orlo.
I sat down with Antonio and chatted about hair, the price of a good cut and what we all should have at home to keep our hair looking salon chic.

So here we go…here’s the 411 on Antonio, the hair industry and what products you must have.

1) I’ve been a hairdresser  for 15 years. I started on this path because as a child I never liked the way I looked after my haircuts so I guess it kind of evolved from that.

2) I have a blog, Comesse, that I write in almost everyday because I wanted to create a platform where women and men could get insight into this industry without having to spend money. It’s a great mesh of quality and luxury while offering help and guidance.

3) I work at Orlo Salon in New York (located in the meatpacking district) where haircuts cost between $200-$800 and yes, the price is justifiable. What you pay for when you come to us is our knowledge, our education level, and the guidance from a team that is setting the trends not following them. For me personally, I know it’s a lot of money but that is why when you come to me, I take my time, I listen and really give you my honest opinion of what I feel could be best for you.

4) New York Fashion Week is a great time for me because we have the honor of working with some of the best names in the business. This past September we were in charge of hair for Oscar de la Renta, J.Mendel, Carolina Herrera, Diane von Furstenberg, Derek Lam and Micheal Kors.

5) I think every woman should have a T3 blowdryer. These blowdryers are very gentle on the hair, light weight and fast drying. I have seen the results for the past 3 years and will never use another hair dryer.

6) Something women (and men) can do at home to maintain healthy hair is invest in a great hair mask and please for the sake of your hair, step away from heavy oils. Moisture is water not oil. I like to recommend the Kerastase Age Recharge masque.

7) Lastly, what I really think will be the next big trend in hair is having the right haircut that’s just on the collar bone or shorter. It has an edge to it, razored a little. It’s still chic and not old fashioned. Long waves are over!
Big thanks to Antonio for sharing his insight and expertise with us…and I don’t know about you all but I’m ordering that hair dryer ASAP ;)

1. October 23, 2012 / 1:15 pm

I loved this interview and learned a few new things like not using oil on hair and the T3 dryer! Thanks Martha!

Holly Foxen Wells
    GlamourMash
    holly just blogged A Few ThingsMy Profile

2. October 23, 2012 / 6:27 pm

i need one, too!! and that hair masque. thanks for the interview/tips!

3. October 23, 2012 / 6:31 pm

Great interview! Thank you for the hair tips. Maybe I need to invest in a good dryer and a good hair mask.

xoxo
    Narae

October 23, 2012 / 6:35 pm

Lovely post and great tips! Really enjoyed reading!
    xx chris

5. October 23, 2012 / 7:06 pm

So glad I found your blog. This is an awesome post and I enjoyed reading his Q&A thoroughly! I didn’t realise how expensive haircuts can be in NY, wow :) I use the Kerastase range for my over-processed hair and it’s served me really well so far, though this is the first time I’ve heard of that hairdryer and I’ll have to look into it.. sounds amazing!
    Steph just blogged SlackMy Profile

6. October 23, 2012 / 9:34 pm

Amazing interview! Great tips!
    I will be back to Miami on friday! I return to Spain en November!
    My dress is from a Spanish designer!
    CRAVING FOR BARNEYS just blogged My second weekend in MiamiMy Profile

7. October 24, 2012 / 7:13 am

Thanks for sharing this one Martha ! Planning to stay updated with Comesse too now !

And the last insight into the future of hair is great ! A great haircut in this part of the world will cost $60…. and an average but nice starts as low as $10… wow the difference !

Much Love
    Heiress
    The Heiress Blog
    Heiress just blogged Off on a bikeMy Profile

8. October 24, 2012 / 8:37 am

This is a great interview!!! I’ve never been one to put oil on my hair..my hair has got enough of its own oils. I know the shorter cuts are in style now, I just can’t. I get sad when my hair isn’t longer than my shoulders.

xoxo

9. October 24, 2012 / 11:43 am

Great interview, definitely learned some useful tips. And can we talk about your pretty you look in that dress! Love it.

10. October 24, 2012 / 2:17 pm

Ok, I need that hair dryer!! But long waves are over?? Say it isn’t so, I love long hair! :)
    Lisa just blogged Royals On Trend in BordeauxMy Profile

11. October 25, 2012 / 5:30 am

What a lovely post!Thanks for sharing the great tips!Really useful!

12. October 26, 2012 / 2:22 am

Love this post and interview!
    Really having a lot of trouble with my hair;
    falling out like an idiot for a few months now and so on.
    So great tips!

X

13. October 29, 2012 / 7:42 pm

..what a cute dress , love the soft colour and print , so happy and summery .. I’m not been to the hair saloon for long long time because of bad experiences ! The gentleman sounds like a perfect stylist , I bet his customers are always happy :)
    Ellinelle just blogged ..once in Egypt ..My Profile

14. October 29, 2012 / 7:48 pm

P.s somehow I couldn’t comment on What I wore to Saks’ Social night out
    , but I must say I am in love with that outfit ,those skirt is amazing , you look fabulous , skirt reminds me something Cheryl Cole would wear , perfect look !
    Ellinelle just blogged ..once in Egypt ..My Profile

15. October 31, 2012 / 2:00 am

que buena entrevista me encanta tener consejos de belleza pues no soy experta en el tema :D
    Maya H just blogged Dress for Sunday morningMy Profile

16. October 31, 2012 / 9:34 pm

The T3 is the bee’s knees. Do it!

November 3, 2012 / 7:28 am

Hello,
    just wanted to say thank you for the lovely comments:) I hope you are doing well!
    have a nice weekend
    xx chris

18. November 11, 2012 / 1:04 am

Love your dress! So Miami :) I would love to meet you soon… I’m kind of new to the city… (5 months) it would be really nice to meet you and all the other fashion bloggers here! Let me know whenever there is an event. Wish you a lovely weekend
    Xox