The highs and lows of fashion

003
Personal fashion pet peeve of mine: women that spend their money on labels and run around proclaiming themselves to be fashion lovers or worse, “fashionistas”. Ugh. I mean, when did the ability to purchase fancy clothes equate to the ability of being stylish? In my opinion, a true fashion lover is someone that can pull together an outfit that resonates their true sense of style on any budget. Mixing labels from every end of the spectrum is my favorite thing to see and coincidentally, it’s something that I truly enjoy doing.

005

3.1 Phillip Lim for Target Peplum sparkle top:
I actually strolled into my local Target days after the big debut and was surprised to find my store had the whole collection fully stocked. I purchased this top and I’m very happy with the quality of it especially the embellishments.
Ann Taylor Stretch Cotton Ankle Pants
Underground Chic Ginny in Nautical Blue (c/o)
Okay, ladies…if you know me, you know that I’d probably sell my left kidney for a Birkin. That’s not an exaggeration. I’ve been coveting the timeless bag for over 10 years…so it’s almost an obsession by now. Well, this Underground Chic bag is the next best thing. Not only do I get the look of the Birkin but I get to pat myself on the back for being “green” because this bag is not only fashionable but very eco-chic. All their bags are made from 100% recycled RPET. The look is created by photo printing the image directly onto the plastic. Pretty cool, huh? If you love the idea of supporting the environment, being fashionably conscious and a good deal (I mean, who doesn’t?) then head over to their site and shop. Use the coupon code PrincessMartha for 20% off. Yeah, amazing ;)
Valentino Couture Patent Bow Pumps

007020016024021

What are some of your fashion pet peeves?

PS…shout out to Ria Michelle for being her usual kick-ass self and putting me in touch with the team from Underground Chic. Check out her blog, she’s all sorts of amazing.

1. September 22, 2013 / 10:28 pm

Hi sweetie! You look gorgeous and that bag is waaaaw :D Then, ur right! We’re both “bags girls” haha I would love that u follow me back on fb if possible sweetie…
    Have a fabulous week!!!
    Kisses from Morocco

2. September 22, 2013 / 10:43 pm

Amen, sista!!! LOVE this post, you’re so right. Spending a lot of money on clothes doesn’t make you a fashionista. You look absolutely gorgeous in this post and I could not be more in love with this outfit!
    Caitlin C just blogged Fall EssentialsMy Profile

3. September 23, 2013 / 5:46 am

love the all black outfit it is timeless and always classy. And that bag OMG,I taught it was a Birkin, must check out this site. And you are wearing the most adorable shoes ever. Overall you look gorgeous.
    Rachelle just blogged Lace-up Booties & Mini Yellow SatchelMy Profile

4. September 23, 2013 / 10:26 am

Oh my gosh! I LOVE YOUR TOP and those bow pumps are so so so chic!
    Rachel just blogged ThriftedMy Profile

5. September 23, 2013 / 11:15 am

I so agree with you Martha! I have seen people dressed in big brands from head to toe and yet not an ounce of real style. Fashion comes from your ability to style, not your wallet.

6. September 23, 2013 / 2:45 pm

I love your look so chic :)

7. Lori
    September 23, 2013 / 2:58 pm

I love this top! I tried it on, but the fit wasn’t right on me.
    It looks great on you!
    Lori

8. September 24, 2013 / 2:14 am

I totally agree with you!! I think someone that knows how to make high and low work is a true fashionista. Too much high end can just look tacky! My favorite fashionista’s that mix high and low would be Olivia Palermo and Kate Middleton. Two stylish ladies that mixes high street and designers.

Love this look, super chic! I have to admit when I saw this post in my Facebook feed I totally thought that was a Birkin! Going to have to go check out that site… Oh and I am totally jealous of those fab shoes! ;)

My fashion pet peeve is camoflauge! I don’t know why but I just can’t stand seeing it in fashion!
    Lisa just blogged Wedge ObsessionMy Profile

9. September 24, 2013 / 1:46 pm

I love this top on you and totally agree with you! You look beautiful.

10. September 25, 2013 / 2:56 am

Agreed! You can’t buy good taste. I’m totally a high/low dresser too. It’s all about knowing what fits you and what fits well with the rest of your closet :) Good luck with getting that Birkin!

Aloha from Hawaii,
    <3 Jenn
    Jenn just blogged Do Pink and Purple Match? Yes!My Profile

11. September 25, 2013 / 11:25 am

THOSE shoes. And those blatantly faux Birkie bags always make me smile because they are unapologetically faux…unlike all the knock-off ones women wear in an effort to seem real.
    Maria Tettamanti just blogged Griswolds Take EuropeMy Profile

12. September 25, 2013 / 2:48 pm

I couldn’t agree more! A girl with style can mix and match everything from any label and make it look amazing. Love your outfit… I NEED those shoes! :)
    xo

Marija
    Marija just blogged IN BULKMy Profile

13. September 26, 2013 / 2:56 pm

Definitely GORGEOUS inside & out in every sense of the word! I totally agree with every word you said in the 1st paragraph Martha…..looking fabulous is not about the brands, it’s bringing your own true self in every look!

Rebecca
    Red Tag Chic Los Angeles just blogged London BlueMy Profile

14. September 26, 2013 / 5:58 pm

What a GORGEOUS post:) and Im now following

Check out my new post..cute designer decor:)

have an amazing weekend dear

LOVE Maria at inredningsvis – inredning it’s, Swedish for decor :)
    maria at inredningsvis just blogged Carrot cake muffins recipeMy Profile

15. September 27, 2013 / 8:30 am

Great post. You definitely do not have to break the bank to be fashionable or have style. I love the outfit … THE SHOES, ahhh!!! The peplum also looks amazing on you. Have a lovely weekend dear. xx/Madison
    FASHION TALES just blogged Fashionable Visions With FirmooMy Profile

16. October 18, 2013 / 2:27 am

Style, not money, should be what rules! How true! Some of my best outfits that looked fantastic were when I was young in the ’70s in grad school and had no money to spend on clothes. Poverty made us daring; I bought a pair of black palazzo pants on sale at a K-mart for 10.00 and wore them to the opera and then afterward to a dinner with Beverly Sills as the guest of honor. I felt and looked soooooo good!